Monday, July 16, 2007

Ramblings of a late night

I admire all the young women I see in sobriety. I'm very young (nineteen to be exact). But, when I see girls who are seventeen (or around that age) who have a year or more it amazes me. I would be lieing if I said it didn't make me on some level jealous. What do they have that I didn't have when I was their age. Oh, yes. Willingness. I think that is one of the three key things. Openmindedness and honesty are the other two. I didn't have any of those three things. I wasn't open minded. I remember going to meetings when I was sixteen and watching people a great deal older then me share. I would always think to myself "What am I doing here? I am sixteen for God's sake! There is no way that I am an addict or an alcoholic. I haven't lost anything. My mother gives me what I want and if she doesn't she will..."

Sometimes I still don't think I've lost anything all the significant. I wasn't on the streets. This time around I really didn't lose anything, except the one thing that means the most to me. I lost my dignity. I lost my sense of self respect. I lost me. I'm a fucking alcoholic. I'm a fucking addict. I'm self centered as hell. Let's just be real. I don't like to write this, but it's the truth: I am the most important person in my world. And, God damn it, sometimes I think I am the most important person in every world. But, I'm not...

I ended up going to a meeting Sunday night. THe topic at the meeting was "Reservations, what keeps you from getting drunk?" I didn't share because it was one of those time where I needed to shut the fuck up and listen. Later I got to think about it. What keeps me from getting drunk? What keeps me from doing drugs one day at a time?

I guess I'm scared if I go out there I'll die. I'm afraid to drink because it leads me to the dope, which turns me into this monster. I get crazy. MAybe I stay in the program because I was lonely and now I'm not lonely. And if I am I just tell people that and then I don't have to be so alone. People really love me, care about me. I didn't have that when I was out there. Maybe I haven't drank because I don't destroy myself, I get to beautiful again inside and out. I was starting to lose that. Maybe I stay because I'm starting to get to know who I am, the woman I am capable of being. I've lived my life in my lies. I never wanted to tell anyone anything real because then they'd get to know me. And I couldn't have that. But, you want to know the real reason I sty no matter what? All of these reasons. No matter what I go through I have the knowledge that as long as I don't pick up things will somehow improve. They will get better. I think the thing that got me to six months was learning I didn't have to use no matter what, even if I wanted to...

I am now pulling everything together. I am going to San Francisco for about five days. That's just what the doctor ordered. A small vacation. On Friday, before I leave, I am speaking on a panel. I've never done so before. I hope it goes well...

9 comments:

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

The thing they always used to saay about going on vacations was 'plan your meetings BEFORE you get there'. meaning phone the office and ask about meetings near your hotel before you set off. holidays being busy things, tend to take over a bit and the programme can take a second place if we're not careful. plus you have to be prepared for the drinks trolly. and the tiramasu, black forest gateau and other ''eating out'' foods that contain alcohol. hey i'm sure you'll be fine as long as you stick close to the programme.
good luck with the panel!

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

hi there. just popped in to say happy wednesday!

johno said...

"I lost my dignity. I lost my sense of self respect." AND THEN "No matter what I go through I have the knowledge that as long as I don't pick up things will somehow improve. They will get better." All your words which I echo too. So much hope you share, its great!!

Yeh trips away, I find that KNOWING in advance the addresses and numbers of the local meetings where am staying, somehow is like I already packed my fellowship with me. Am not going alone, pressure lessened. Also i found that if I take a walk around to find out where the venue is when I get there or at least check out a map, see how far away it is, how long to get there and back. even if I can only fit 1/2 hour of the meeting in, could save my bacon" well thats what I did anyway. It was like an insurance, just incase.

If your staying/eating in hotel, I find turning my own glass over as i sit down, often is enough of a "universal signal" to the waiter not to offer wine, mineral water sometimes is enough.

Big Book stories are also useful connectors for me to AA when am away, relieves the loneliness amonsgt a crowd, and has often changed the way I feel by the time I got to the end of the story.

Enjoy the experience !!

johno said...

Good luck with the panel & have a safe trip.

D. Estitute said...

I hope San Fran blessed your courage with some new light.

johno said...

Hope your trips gone well ?

erinsav said...

I think it's really great that you have realized at such a young age that you were getting no where while using.

It took me till I was 29 to have the balls to face my problems.

Good luck with everything.

Erin
whatwinnersdo.com

johno said...

Hellooooooo

stacy said...

If you are looking for info on a christian rehab centers then you need to do research and find the one that works for you. Thanks for the post.